Tuesday, February 21, 2017

7. Conformity

Image result for boise idaho
Over the past weeks I've come to notice a strong cultural aspect within the area of Provo. It's pretty different from Boise, despite being only 5 hours away, and its caused me to think a lot about the church throughout the world. Provo is a very unique case for obvious reasons, but nevertheless it has helped me to realize the kind of culture I would like my children to grow up around.
In Boise, approximately 20-25% of my high school were members of the Church. In my opinion, a perfect ratio: just enough to have your buddies to back you up but still a strong enough minority to constantly be an example to those around you. I loved it. I learned so much and appreciated the fact that I was a minority and could bring others to the same light I enjoyed.
That's something I want my kids to grow up on. I want them to be raised to stand up for the beliefs that make them unique and feel the joy of bringing others into it. That's not to say that that cannot be done in Provo; in fact, more missionary work is done within the greater Salt Lake area than anywhere else in the world. But I want my children to enjoy something that I came to learn and love. Who knows where our careers will take us. My wife and I will be at the mercy of the Lord who needs us in particular places.
I hope to give my children the experiences and tests that my parents directly or unknowingly gave me. I am so appreciative of my trials and the people I have come to know in instances separate from the church. It has strengthened my testimony of humanity in general and set me up to serve a mission in a land hostile to religion.
Occasionally, a culture of "pushing the envelope" becomes prevalent around here. Who can push the envelope farthest without breaking it - in other words, who can bend the commandments or standards the most without breaking them. For me and my friends in Idaho, standards weren't optional, being an example wasn't just a good idea and standing up for what you believed in was an everyday routine. I love that about Boise. Rather than conforming to the culture we were surrounded by, we built it as youth of the true church of God.

No comments:

Post a Comment